Re: face-remapping patch

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: face-remapping patch
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 15:57:23 +0100

On 28 May 2008, at 15:46, Chong Yidong wrote:

Looks reasonable, but could you explain what problem this solves? Under
what circumstances would a user or an Elisp library prefer to use
face-remapping instead of redefining faces directly?

I like to edit LaTeX code and other texts with a different (variable- width) font, but I'll stick to a monospaced one for code. Also, I like to change the background color (and a bunch of further faces) so I can more easily see what buffer I'm in.

These things are obviously buffer-specific.

I've been using code that changes faces and frame parameters from `change-major-mode-hook', but having buffer-specific faces implemented at C level is obviously a much cleaner solution.