Re: Face realization

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Face realization
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 11:25:22 -0400

>> Also, as you point out, there's a gross inefficiency in that most faces
>> are really terminal-local rather than frame-local (after all, the
>> defface spec does not allow per-frame customizations), so we should
>> share the resulting realized faces.  If you have a patch for it, maybe
>> you should post it here,

> Well, my patch is rather small.  I simply don't run `make-face-x-
> resource-internal' for each frame.
> I think there's some way to specify the equivalent of X resources on Carbon,
> but that's nothing that justified the need for an operation  that delayed
> frame creation by that much.
> This has worked for a lot of users since I started using it, and it sped up
> frame creation enormously.

> I really don't know anything about X, so apologies if the below trick won't
> work in X based environment.

[ Me, disappointed. ]
Your patch points out a good place where we could improve speed
noticeably, but clearly it can't be applied as is.

OTOH, it's not clear how to speed it up, especially in the case of X11.

Maybe we should simply process face settings via Xresource elsewhere:
not when creating frames, but when evaluating defface (or at startup
for the pre-defined faces, of course).

The current face-setting code (which merges settings from x-resources,
frame-parameters, defface specs, and manual calls to
set-face-attributes) is really messy and inefficient.

        Stefan