Re: "Pager" page-up and -down, why not merge?

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: "Pager" page-up and -down, why not merge?
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 08:29:38 -0400

On Jun 4, 2008, at 7:13 AM, Richard M Stallman wrote:

seem to be an improvement over the existing definitions of scroll- down and scroll-up in emacs. In particular, hitting sequences like [next]
   or Ctrl-v followed by [previous] or M-v leaves point in the same
   place, which is very calming.

That in itself is a good thing, but ISTR that the simple
implementations of this had bad effects in other cases.
To do the job right requires something much more complex
which people usually don't bother trying to do.

If anyone who uses Emacs.app or could try out the elisp I posted could provide specifics on such misbehavior, that would be great. I did improve the implementations in a couple of respects after feedback from the Emacs.app user base, and complaints have died off. ;-)