Re: 23.0.60; SEGV in font_score()

From: James Cloos
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; SEGV in font_score()
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 14:49:30 -0400

Compiled again, this time w/o -O2.

With -O2 entity got optimized out, so the crash was reported on line
1990:

        if (xstrcasecmp (SDATA (spec_str), SDATA (entity_str)))

but w/o -O2 it occurs a couple of lines up at:

        Lisp_Object entity_str = SYMBOL_NAME (AREF (entity, i));

Since I can only trigger this randomly while reading mail with gnus, and
since nnimap takes about an hour to start up, this is very fustrating to
debug.

I was able to convince the xpr macro in gdb to tell me that the first
element of entity is "xft", but I couldn't figure out how to get to the
next element.  Folling the next pointer led me to another vector with
the element a Lisp_Symbol "xft".  If I go on in VM and treat the next
octets as another struct List Vector I get the Lisp_Symbol "nil" and
then data which is clearly not another Lisp_Vector.

Any help (from anyone!) in figuring this out is most welcome.  What I
found in info and reading the .gdbinit was a good start, but I'm still
not quite there.)

(And do remember that a SEGV has been thrown, so pr doesn't work.  And
also that, since it is emacs I'm debugging, I'm not running gdb in emacs.)

Handa-san: I can provide a -ggdb core dump off list.  It looks to have
much more value than the dump I mentioned in the initial bug report.
(It is quite large, though.  More than 64 Megs uncompressed.)

-JimC
--
James Cloos <address@hidden>         OpenPGP: 1024D/ED7DAEA6