Re: Patch to INSTALL.CVS to clarify why `make bootstrap' sometimes fails

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Patch to INSTALL.CVS to clarify why `make bootstrap' sometimes fails.
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 22:52:45 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 14:40:11 -0400
>> Cc: address@hidden
>>
>> `make bootstrap' should begin by doing a `maintainer-clean'.
>
> And then what does one do if a bootstrap fails half-way through, and
> one wants to continue it after fixing the problem?

That's an expert operation with tripup potential.  The default bootstrap
should just work, however slowly.

Maybe we should add a target "continue-bootstrap" if this occurs often
enough to make people want it.

Anyway, maintainer-clean does too much: it kills the record of how I ran
configure the last time.  If we had a "bootstrap-clean", that would
possibly already help.

Of course, all of these are extra targets and extra doc.  But I think
that the default bootstrap should be rather safe than sorry.