RE: binding `display-time' modeline clickies to mouse-1

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: binding `display-time' modeline clickies to mouse-1
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 00:38:32 -0700

> Given that most modeline clickies are bound to mouse-1 and we now
> live in a `mouse-1-click-follows-link' Emacs world, any objections to
> this change?
> -       'help-echo "You have new mail; mouse-2: Read mail"
> +       'help-echo "You have new mail; mouse-1: Read mail"

Living in a world with `mouse-1-click-follows-link' does not mean living in a
world where that variable is necessarily non-nil.

It is a mistake to hard-code things like this.

If hard-coding cannot be avoided for some reason, then the echo should be
ambiguous about which mouse button is used: just "click".