Re: Copyright question

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Copyright question
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 15:33:47 -0400

> I would like to switch the copyright of the Org-mode manual to GPL.
> Currently it is GFDL, with front/back cover texts, and I am told
> that the Debian cannot include this in their distribution - therefore,
> the Org-mode package in Debian is currently without Manual.

Actually, Debian can and does include such things in their distribution,
but in the `non-free' section.  This is the case for the Emacs online
docs (in package emacs22-common-non-dfsg).

Also, you do not need to abandon the GFDL to be allowed in the main
section of Debian.  You "only" need to use the GFDL without any
front&back matters (IIRC).

I find this situation (w.r.t Debian vs GNU manuals) rather sad, but
I don't see much hope for a resolution.

        Stefan