Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bootstrap not regenerating some *loaddefs
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 12:16:46 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 15:13:18 -0400
> Cc: Jason Rumney <address@hidden>, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>,
>
> "Juanma Barranquero" wrote:
>
> > On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 08:23, Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> a) I doubt the changes to lisp/Makefile.in were made for no reason.
> >
> > How does that follow, or relate, to what I said? (about changing the
> > *Windows makefiles*.)
>
> Because the changes I refered to should be independent of whether
> using Unix or Windows, since the emacs lisp files and their
> dependencies are independent of arch. The only differences should be
> the Windows-specific shell commands (or whatever).

Well, those ``only differences'' _are_ the main source of the
difficulty, and the main reason why people prefer not to mess with the
Windows Makefiles, as long as they are working.

> CVSREAD=1 should be handled on Windows, if the concept is applicable
> there.

Even such a seemingly easy change has subtle dark corners, and if done
haphazardly, will break the build.  Windows doesn't come with `chmod'
out of the box, so we either need to require it for the Windows build
(which is in general bad, since that makes it harder for Windows users
to build Emacs), or use Windows equivalents.  But to use Windows
equivalents, one must first to:

  . make sure the equivalent command is supported on all Windows
    version, since Windows 95 to the latest Windows Vista;

  . make sure the syntax and semantics of the equivalent command is
    the same, no matter from what Windows version it comes and what
    Windows shell (command.com or cmd.exe) is used, because as the
    Windows shells evolve, the add and sometimes remove features;

  . make sure that if a ported Unixy shell is used, the equivalent
    command will not be misinterpreted by the shell, because it is
    already some shell built-in (for example, `type' is a Windows
    command to dump file's contents to the screen, akin to `cat' on
    Unix, but is something very different to Bash).

So each such change more often than not turns out to be a small
research project, which explains our reluctance to make changes that
are not strictly required.

> finder-data and custom-deps should not depend on $(lisp)/loaddefs.el
> because it should not be necessary now, and because if they do it can
> cause a redumping of Emacs.

Why is it ``not necessary''?  Don't these targets cause Emacs to read
all the *.el files anymore?