Re: Short explanation for & in key ! of dired

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Short explanation for & in key ! of dired
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 10:44:32 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden writes:
>> & gimp RET
>>
>> I'd be happier! But, ok, thats my use-case, and I dont really know how
>> other people use dired.
>
> That's exactly what I want too.  When backgrounding, I'm almost always
> running some gui app; I do not care about stdout/stderr, and Emacs
> clumsy handling of background processes (only one at a time unless you
> fiddle with things) is pretty annoying.
>
> The current behavior of backgrounding seems vaguely anacronistic, maybe
> from a time when people didn't use a window system.
>
> Incidentally, many gnome apps are extremely sloppy about their output --
> if you run them from a terminal you get tons of random debugging junk
> (which doesn't for the most part seem to reflect any observable
> problem).  This is for standard released apps.  It seems that they are
> expected to normally be run in an environment where such output is
> discarded.

Exactly my observation too. But sometimes you still need to see the
output when debugging, often post-mortem, so to speak. For instance I
tried gnome-sudoku the other day, and it didnt work properly, and I had
to look at the output to discover it failed on missing files.

In the end, the proper solution was to install the emacs sudoku client
of course :)

--
Joakim Verona