Re: address@hidden: Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed]

From: Sven Joachim
Subject: Re: address@hidden: Delivery Notification: Delivery has failed]
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 09:46:27 +0200

On 2008-06-29 05:14 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 12:35:35 -0700
>> From: Don Armstrong <address@hidden>
>>
>> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>> > What does this message mean?  I get these almost every time I reply to
>> > a message that came from the bug tracker.  How can I avoid this
>> > nuisance?
>>
>> Don't send messages to address@hidden
>
> I didn't; I just hit `r' in Rmail.  So that address was on the
> original message already.

It was in the "Resent-To" field, and rmail-reply includes that in the
list of addresses for the reply.  That does not seem to comply to RFC
2822 which states:

   Resent fields are used to identify a message as having been
   reintroduced into the transport system by a user.  The purpose of
   using resent fields is to have the message appear to the final
   recipient as if it were sent directly by the original sender, with
   all of the original fields remaining the same.  Each set of resent
   fields correspond to a particular resending event.  That is, if a
   message is resent multiple times, each set of resent fields gives
   identifying information for each individual time.  Resent fields are
   strictly informational.  They MUST NOT be used in the normal
   processing of replies or other such automatic actions on messages.

>> > While at that, another related question: why am I receiving 4 copies
>> > of every message I send in response to a bug tracker message?
>>
>> You're probably sending them to more than just the bug number.
>
> Again, I just hit `r'.  If Rmail should be fixed, please tell what
> does it do incorrectly, but let's not have an Emacs bug tracker that
> doesn't work well with an Emacs MUA.

I think Rmail should be fixed to not send replies to Resent-* addresses.

Sven