Re: files in emacs/lisp/language/ not byte compiled

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: files in emacs/lisp/language/ not byte compiled
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2008 00:10:36 -0400

>> There are quite a few files in emacs/lisp/language that do not get byte
>> compiled (they have a "no-byte-compile: t" local variable setting).

>> Is there any particular reason to do that?  If not, would you mind if
>> that was changed?

> They are not compiled because there's no benefit
> (memory-space and speed) in doing that.

So it's just an optimization, intended to shorten the time to compile
Emacs and to reduce the installation size as well.  Note that apparently
identical" .el file presumably because it doesn't go through
load-with-code-conversion.

> If those lines are annoying, I think the right thing is to
> find/implement a way to suppress them.

100% agreement.  But if someone wants to remove the no-byte-compile from
some of those files, I'm not necessarily opposed to it.

        Stefan