Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/leim/ChangeLog,v

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/leim/ChangeLog,v
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 13:50:58 +0200

On Fri, Jul 4, 2008 at 11:56, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Are you saying that the problem happens when "cvs up" applies the
> patches sent to it by the server?

Really, I don't know.

The sequence is this:

 - I have a ChangeLog, apparently correct, up-to-date with the repository.
 - I modify it, typically by adding a new ChangeLog entry.
 - I commit in from inside Emacs, with vc-next-action followed by log-edit-done.
 - I see the diff in emacs-diffs and notice that an empty line has
been deleted. This seems to happen more to empty lines that separate
paragraphs from date/author lines (as opposed to empty space between
paragraphs), but I have no hard data, just a feeling.
 - I edit the ChangeLog to see what's happened. All the lines end in ^M.
 - I remove the ^M (with replace-string <ENTER> ^M^J <ENTER> ^J) [I
don't write the ChangeLog, it's just to make it easier spot problems.]
 - At that point (after removing the ^Ms) the line with the problem
has this aspect:

        this is the last line of the previous paragraph.
^MYYYY-MM-DD  This is the  <address@hidden>

        * This is the correct paragraph of the following entry.

Juanma