Re: fringe symbol for newline

From: Vinicius Jose Latorre
Subject: Re: fringe symbol for newline
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 19:37:03 -0300

David Reitter wrote:
On 9 Jul 2008, at 23:06, Miles Bader wrote:

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:
Now that we have improved wrapping to support DTWW, it would be nice if
the fringe could mark visual lines that end with a newline.

Note that you can rather easily cause a special symbol (e.g. ¶, ↲, or
what-have-you) to be displayed before newlines, using the display-table.

That seems to be what most other apps do anyway (rather than putting
something "in the fringe")?

Right, and they also don't have fringes (at least not used for similar purposes).

Hmmmm, ok, how do the symbols look in the fringe?

That is, I was thinking something like:

| LF                       RF | COMMENT
| | This is a short line.     | a short line (short symbol)
|                             | an empty line (no symbol)
| + This is a very very ver < | starts a very long line (begin symbol)
| > y long line that finish < | middle of a very long line (middle symbol)
| - s here.                   | ends a very long line (end symbol)

Where, RF means Right Fringe and LF means Left Fringe.

But it seems that David's suggestion is:

| LF                       RF | COMMENT
|   This is a short line.     | a short line
| |                           | an empty line (paragraph symbol)
|   This is a very very ver < | starts a very long line
| > y long line that finish < | middle of a very long line
|   s here.                   | ends a very long line

That said, below is some code that does this for me (put together from code by Drew Adams and whitespace.el). It's not simple enough for your average user to do this, and since it's a standard function in other editors, I would like to see this as a simple-to-enable standard function in 23, possibly even with an entry in the Options menu. (I couldn't make whitespace (in 22) do the same.)

Well, to use whitespace package in Emacs 21 and/or 22, please, download it from the EmacsWiki:

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/download/whitespace.el

This version is prepared to run in Emacs 21, 22 and 23.

Also, I'd still prefer this to be in the fringe. It's a lot less intrusive. You need this sort of information only occasionally.

Well, indeed it's less intrusive.