Re: Working with one buffer in two frames/windows

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Working with one buffer in two frames/windows
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 2008 10:21:57 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> it is annoyingly impossible to keep working with two views of the same
>> buffer.  For example, say that I have a file text.tex open in two frames
>> since I want to work on two different locations of it via
>> comparison/cut&paste/whatever.
>
>> Now I type M-x gnus RET, read news and quit again.  As a consequence, a
>> totally unrelated buffer pops up.  And of course, when I get back the
>> buffer again (which is not the default offered), the window point is
>> lost and replaced by that of the other frame that is still on.
>
> Yes, it's problematic.  Emacs's buffer/window management presumes you
> most likely want to display a buffer in only 1 window at a time.

It is clearly presuming too much and remembering too little about my
preferences.

> As someone else mentioned you can kind of work around this via
> clone-indirect-buffer.
>
>> That is quite a nuisance.  Are there some ways to make a two-view setup
>> less ephemeral?
>
> You might want to try and play with window-configs.

Do you mean as in "find your own private way to fight Emacs'
misbehavior" or in "somebody should really start working on improving
this, and maybe you could give it a thought"?

I don't think that the solution lies in user commands.  The behavior for
temporary screens like help screens and gnus screens and other stuff is
far too egregiously annoying to make it reasonable to require the user
to fight for his window configuration each time.