Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 19:33:15 +0000

'evening, Richard!

On Mon, Jul 14, 2008 at 01:39:05PM -0400, Richard M Stallman wrote:
>     And Richard, in particular, if somebody feeds the name of their system
>     through cut -d/ -f2 would you PLEASE not get sarcastic at them.

> I don't know how to use the cut program, and I don't know what that
> command does.

It prints slice(s) out of a line of text, either by column numbers or (as
here) by field numbers, given a separator.  Spend 5 minutes browsing the
man page or GNU text utilities manual.  It's one of these things that
somehow comes in handy quite a lot, but not _quite_ enough to remember
its details.  For example, this gets the CVS version number of a local
file:

grep cc-mode.el CVS/Entries | cut -d/ -f3

> But since you are talking about the name of the system, I will make
> the guess that this has to do with the mistake of calling the system
> "Linux".

Yes.

> I explain that error a few times every day, and I have lots of
> practice in doing it.  I do it in a courtious and straightfoward tone,
> and never with sarcasm.

Ah, OK, that's all right then.  ;-)

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).