Re: Emacs vista build failures

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: Re: Emacs vista build failures
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 20:06:15 -0700

    Claus> I have a full (incl.  make, gcc, ...)  Cygwin installation,
    Claus> but for Emacs-building Cygwin is pushed as last in my
    Claus> execution path.  That is, I'm using MSys/MingGW for the build
    Claus> process.

Same here :-|  And I keep my Cygwin reasonably current.

    Claus> So, things to check in your build process are:

    Claus> 1.  Is your MSys/MingGW installation complete?

As far as I know.  It used to work fine -- in fact, it _still_ works
fine if I build the commit that corresponds to the 22.2 release.

    Claus> 2.  Is MSys/MingGW first (before Cygwin) in your path?

No, it's not on my PATH at all -- I just invoke c:/msys/1.0/bin/make "by
hand".  That's always worked in the past.

    Claus> 3.  For programs that MSys/MingGW doesn't provide, is there a
    Claus> fallback (Cygwin)?

Yes.

    Claus> 4.  Is your working directory clean?

Yes.  I _always_ "git-clean -dxf" before attempting to build.

    Claus> 5. Are your build-flags sane?

I believe so.

    Claus> 6.  Are you using mingw32-make?

Yes.

    Claus> 7.  Before building, do you run "clean" and
    Claus> "bootstrap-clean"?

Effectively, via "git-clean -dxf".

    Claus> 8.  Do you bootstrap?

Yes.

    Claus> I have included my build-script below - it works realiably
    Claus> for me since months; perhaps it gives you some pointers.

Thanks very much.

--
The reason Florence is famous is that in 1450, it was New York.
        -- Paul Graham