Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 07:58:35 +0200

* Stephen J. Turnbull (2008-07-15) writes:

> Except for bug reports.  Debian's XEmacs (unlike, say, Mandrivel's) is
> quite clean of core patches, so I don't recall ever needing to fire up
> a Debian XEmacs to diagnose a bug.  (Of course, if it looks like a
> load-path issue, I always try to bounce it back to Debian, since it's
> their load-path, not ours.

Just as an example, the Debian Emacs policy requires all Emacsen to have
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp in `load-path', even XEmacs.  (See also
<URL:http://thread.gmane.org/d6qmdp$uor$1%40sea.gmane.org>.)  Like that
XEmacs will pick up files byte-compiled for Emacs.  This looks pretty
broken to me.

--
Ralf