Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs [Was: Emacs vista b

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Debian's idiosyncratic complexification of Emacs [Was: Emacs vista build failures]
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:55:12 +0900

Don Armstrong writes:

 > Perhaps I'm being elitist, but it took me all of 5 minutes to look up
 > the documentation for this, and rework through how this all was done.

No, you're just forgetting what it is like to live in a world where
"debhelper" is a 9 character string, and nothing more.  FHS is
extremely well-known, but Alan apparently didn't connect that to the
location of site-start.el under /etc.  I've known about the Debian
Emacs Policy for at least 7, maybe more like 10, years by now, but it
doesn't surprise me that typical users would never have heard it
spoken (not even in anger :-).