Re: gdb-ui, dedicated windows

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: gdb-ui, dedicated windows
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:37:02 +0900

Nick Roberts <address@hidden> writes:
>  > A possible fix would be to store the buffer gdb puts in that window,
>  > and when deciding whether to re-use that window or, also verify that the
>  > same buffer is there (and don't re-use the window if not).
>
> gdb-ui _does_ store the (source) buffer it puts in the window.  That's why
> when
> you replace it with the GUD buffer using switch-to-buffer (not part of gdb-ui)
> it gets confused.
>
> It could verify that the same buffer is there but the contents of the source
> window change every time the program being debugged stops in a frame that is
> in
> a different file and gdb-ui must allow for this.

Why is this a problem?  In such cases, the source buffer should get
changed via gdb-display-source-buffer, which will update the associated
source-file, right?

In other words, it seems that as long as gud is the one doing the
updating of the source window, everything will remain consistent, and it
will keep using that window.  It would only be if some external agent
changes what's displayed in that window that the state would become
inconsistent -- and in that case, it's probably the right thing to do to
pop up a new window (which will become the new source window).

Anyway, I can make the obvious change and see if it feels funny.

-Miles

--
Optimist, n. A proponent of the doctrine that black is white.