Re: isearch multiple buffers

From: Thomas Link
Subject: Re: isearch multiple buffers
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 08:53:16 +0200

Hi,

Somebody put me on the cc list. I currently don't use emacs and (to my knowledge) I'm not??? the present maintainer of filesets but I'd like to comment on a few statements.

filesets.el is a promising package with presently poor user interface.
It displays a list of selected buffers only in the menu (not available
when the menu is turned off) or in a Customize buffer that displays one
customizable variable as a set of files.
AFAIK emacs provides a way to access menus from the command line. Also, filesets commands can be used without using the menu. IIRC you also have command line completion for the most important commands. On many (all?) platforms/GUI toolkits, the menu can be torn off. The menu will then remain open after having selected an item. Menus are quite versatile. Back then, it thus looked like a good idea to me to use menus.

I think a better way to display
filesets would be UI like provided by buffer-list, i.e. a special buffer
that displays a set of files and allows easily doing operations on them.
Today, I'd actually prefer this (or a similar) approach. The filesets data becomes quite big after a while and the data is kept in memory all the time. It thus seems preferable to display the information in an emacs buffer that can be unloaded when not in use. Actually, today I'd rather save the information as plain text file and implement the functionality as a "filesets mode". This would also provide for a way to easily split the filesets data into subsets. Emacs folding/outline mode could be used as rather low-diet ui.

Another option would be to integrate it with sidebar, which solves a not all too different problem. I have never used sidebar on the terminal though.

I assume though that most (new) users would prefer menus because most other applications they use work this way -- unless they have already reached the point where they use emacs for everything :-) .

On the www site of the filesets project I've found a file filesets2.el
that contains features missing in the Emacs version of filesets.el.
These features provide integration with dired and ibuffer: there are
special commands to add a buffer from the ibuffer's buffer list to
a fileset, and to add dired marked buffers to a fileset.  I wonder
why the author didn't include them to Emacs.
Back then I used xemacs most of the time (mostly because compilation was slightly easier on cygwin/windows). xemacs has cl loaded by default, and I considered it preferable to use its functions. I don't think this version has been thoroughly tested with emacs.

Regards,
Thomas.