Re: inputting characters by hexadigit

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: inputting characters by hexadigit
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 22:37:45 +0200

Drew Adams wrote:
How about having `completing-read' just call a
`completing-read-function' variable if non-nil?
This is the same thing that `read-file-name' does,
with `read-file-name-function'.
It sounds useful to authors of Emacs extensions and might even be useful directly for end users, letting
them decide what completing-read function they feel
like using on any particular day.
I agree. Is there any reason not to add completing-read-function?
No one has objected to the idea.
Could someone please implement this?
Let's wait when Stefan moves completing-read to minibuffer.el and then just add
(if completing-read-function
    (funcall completing-read-function ;-)

SM> I'm not opposed to such a change, but I have other things
SM> to do. So if someone else wants to install such a thing,
SM> he should go right ahead.

I hope someone will please do that. Thanks.

Could not this be done by just renaming the C function completing-read to completing-read-1 and then adding

(defun completing-read (prompt
                        collection
                        &optional predicate require-match
                        initial-input hist def