Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: a little feedback on Cocoa Emacs.app
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 02:29:46 +0000 (UTC)

Ken Raeburn <raeburn <at> gnu.org> writes:

> 3)  I noticed that there are no info files in the
> new one; is that intentional?

No, this was an error in the installation commands.  Fixed in CVS
(Makefile.in).

> 4) under Spaces, I found it kind of annoying not to have a
> "new window" option in the dock menu

This seems like something it would be better if Apple fixed, since it
affects all applications.  Have you reported it to them?  It could be
added to Emacs.app pretty easily I think, though right now priorities
are on bug-fixing and code cleanup.

> 5) The close button seems to be disabled when there's only one
> window.  I'd rather see it quit Emacs like it used to in Carbon Emacs,
> or be configurable to allow that

Emacs.app follows emacs interfaces on other platforms here.  It is possible
that adding a configurable option as you suggest would be acceptable.  Do you
know if it is the plain Carbon Emacs that has this behavior, or is it only in
the distributions (Carbon Emacs Package, Aquamacs, etc.)?

> 6) The File menu includes "make frame on display..." but as far as I
> know, the display name parameter isn't used except under X, is it?
> (The documentation specifically refers to X.)  Since "make frame" is
> already there, this seems redundant.

True.  When "ns-extended-platform-support-mode" is enabled, this issue is
fixed.  (This mode may be removed from emacs CVS soon though.)

Thanks for your feedback!