Re: observations for ns*.m files (Re: Emacs.app merged)

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: observations for ns*.m files (Re: Emacs.app merged)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 09:29:57 -0400

On Jul 28, 2008, at 3:15 AM, Jason Rumney wrote:

Emacs 23 accepts 3 different formats for specifying fonts. In addition
to XLFD, there are the fontconfig ("Monaco-10", "Monaco-10:bold"...) and
GTK ("Monaco 10", "Monaco Bold 10") formats. If the point size is left
out, a default of I think 12 is assumed.

Thanks. The font backend system handles size and font name separately. I will have to study the code to see where the parsing takes place that separates off the size attribute from the name.

The nice thing about the fontSize frame parameter is it ties into this aspect of the backend, and allows the user to easily control font size separately from the font.

Also, how does one specify multiple attributes in the new formats; are these correct?

Monaco-10:bold,italic
Monaco Bold Italic 10