Re: isearch in Dired

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: isearch in Dired
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 18:45:00 +0300

>> The other comment I have is that I'd like to be able to toggle the kind
>> of search from within isearch.  Currently within `isearch', we have M-c,
>> M-r to toggle the case sensitivity and the use of regexps, and it would
>> make sense to provide additional such toggles for "word search" (tho it
>> might rather be folded into the regexp-toggle since there are really
>> only 3 possible states, not 4), and (in dired buffers) toggle-filename
>> and in some other buffers, other such things would make sense.
>> We should come up with a prefix key in isearch to replace M-c and M-r
>> and to give us space for extra toggles.
>
> Such a prefix already exists in Isearch, so we could use `M-s f' to
> toggle filename-only Isearch.

I see that it is better to implement this in isearch.el to toggle the effect
of the variable `isearch-success-function' but for a general solution we need
a general function name for the letter "f".  It seems a good name is "field"
since it narrows the search to a set of fields where one particular case is
Dired file names.  Then a new function `isearch-toggle-fields' bound to
`M-s f' in Isearch mode will toggle the search restricted to fields/filenames.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/