Re: Release plans

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:28:19 +0530 (IST)

----- Original Message ----
> Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 23:47:30 -0400
> From: Richard M Stallman
> Subject: Re: Release plans
> To: Eli Zaretskii
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>     > In that case, does the fact that Emacs runs on Windows
>     > help you do these simple jobs?
>
>     It gives me more opportunities to look at problems that are not
>     specific to some platform.
>
> Sure, but it also consumes some of your time on Windows support issues.
> If you simply did your editing on the GNU/Linux machine, and did not
> pay attention to Windows support, would your contributions to
> the platform-independent capabilities of Emacs be less, or more?

Emacs is a great editor (and much more). Just because it takes some extra
effort to keep it running on a non free OS (which has a significant install
base whether we like it or not), please do not consider dropping the port. At
work, we do not have the freedom to chose the OS on which we like to work.
Since I spend most of my coding time at work, I have to use windows port of
Emacs however much I would love to use Emacs on GNU/Linux. I have popularized
emacs quite a bit on windows at work, this would have increased the GNU
awareness among people working on non-free platforms. Consider this as a
GNU/FSF evangelizing through tools like Emacs.

-dhruva

      Connect with friends all over the world. Get Yahoo! India Messenger at
http://in.messenger.yahoo.com/?wm=n/