Re: make maintainer-clean invokes gcc. It shouldn't, surely?

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: make maintainer-clean invokes gcc. It shouldn't, surely?
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 15:29:40 -0700

Alan Mackenzie <address@hidden> writes:

  > Hi, Emacs,
  >
  > I'm going mad.  I'm going round and round in circles in update hell.
  >
  > I couldn't build Emacs last night or this morning, so in the end I
  > copied my entire emacs directory to somewhere new, and did
  >
  >    % make maintainer-clean
  >
  > on it.  Guess what?  Somehow, it calls gcc in an attempt to compile
  > .../src/Makefile.c
  >
  > make maintainer-clean is meant just to delete everything apart from the
  > raw source.  So how does it go about this?  rm -rf *.o *.elc ......???

I would advice you build in a separate directory.  (I always do).
mkdir /tmp/objs
cd /tmp/objs
/PATH_TO_EMACS_SOURCES/configure
make

If things go south, just remove /tmp/objs and restart.   From
time to time you might have to remove loaddefs.el or do a "make
maintainer-clean",
but in general things work without hitches.