Re: Release plans

From: dhruva
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 15:24:48 +0530 (IST)

Hello,

----- Original Message ----

I completely agree with you. Let us accept that many companies develop software
that runs on multiple operating systems. Some of us with windows background
have to pitch in when there is requirement. I would love to work with the great
GNU tools that I use on GNU/Linux on all platforms I am expected to work. Just
imagine if I have to learn OS specific tools for doing regular development
work, I would end up spending time learning the various tools instead of just
using them to get the work done. Hence, the request to continue to make Emacs
(and other GNU tools) available on a bunch of other OS (free or non free).
I work in India and I can say that we cannot demand to work only on a
particular platform when you join a company. Especially in the application
development, most companies want their applications to run on a whole lot of
platforms. I am not a Linux kernel hacker to be able to get a good job where I
can live and breath in GNU/Linux that can still pay my (and my family) bills.
That is the unfortunate reality.
 Just for records, though I develop on GNU/Linux, I still have to use M$ to
access mails, ensure it builds and works on M$, for VPN and a bunch of other
stuff for which the local IT offers support to M$ but not GNU/Linux! I have
tried a couple of times to remove M$ and use on GNU/Linux but failed due to
some internal tool not working on GNU/Linux and had to get back. It is sad but
true. Same with the Mozilla Firefox browser. Some sites just do not work on
Firefox (and Opera). To get the work done, you have to use IE or end up getting
fired for not getting the job done.

-dhruva

      Unlimited freedom, unlimited storage. Get it now, on
http://help.yahoo.com/l/in/yahoo/mail/yahoomail/tools/tools-08.html/