Re: Cocoa Emacs (2)

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Cocoa Emacs (2)
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2008 20:32:57 +1200

 > OK, running M-x gdb will lead to the bug, but M-x gud does not,
 > despite running same line (gdb --annotate=3 src/emacs in my case).

OK, I see.

 > One difference I noticed is that when running via M-x gdb some status
 > is shown in the modeline, while via M-x gud does not.

M-x gud-gdb is the old 'text-command' mode as in Emacs 21, while M-x gdb
gives the GDB Graphical Interface as described in the manual.

 >                                                       I don't know a
 > tremendous amount about gud/gdb.. could there be some difference in
 > process-listening between the two different invocations?

I think M-x gdb fails because of the extra ^M characters that are printed by
gdb, as I reported earlier in:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-07/msg01421.html

It appears that Mac different line endings to normal Unix/Linux just as
w32 does, but this doesn't appear to cause a problem/be visible with
Carbon Emacs.