Re: On prompt in shell mode

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: On prompt in shell mode
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:42:00 -0400

>>> The following regards Emacs (trunk) both on Linux and Cygwin.
>>
>>> When I do: M-x shell, the prompt has garbage:
>>
>>> ^[]0;~/downloads/cygwinports^G
>>> address@hidden ^[[33m~/downloads/cygwinports^[[0m
>>> $
>>
>>> being
>>
>>> echo PS1
>>> \[\e]0;address@hidden \[\e[33m\]\w\[\e[0m\]\n\$
>>
>> Doesn't look like garbage to me: it looks like the exact (garbage) codes
>> specified in your PS1.  After all \e is ^[ and \a is ^G (IIRC).
>>
>> You should be careful to choose the escape sequences in your PS1
>> according to the escape sequences accepted by the terminal emulator in
>> which the shell is running (which is reflected in the $TERM envvar).

> Obviously, what you call "the exact (garbage) codes specified in your PS1"
> in RXVT, MRXVT, URXVT, (KDE)Konsole produces:

> address@hidden ~/downloads/cygwinports
> $

I do not doubt it.  They are codes meant specifically for those terminal
emulators so it's no wonder they do what you want there.  Try it on
a wyse terminal, or in the Linux console.  M-x shell is not a terminal
emulator.  M-x term is more likely to do what you want (tho I do not
guarantee that all those escape sequences are supported, especially the
one that sets the window title).

        Stefan