Re: Release plans

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Release plans
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:32:25 +0200

"Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:

>     Free libraries could easily add the interface, proprietary vendors would
>     highly unlikely add it. I think Linux kernel modules has something
>     similar.
>
> The fact that non-free Linux modules continue to be distributed shows
> that this method is not adequate to prevent them.

The Linux kernel doesn't refuse to boot when it recognizes a non GPL
module being loaded. It justs informs you its "tainted".

Emacs should of course just refuse to use functions in modules that are
not GPL compliant, not just inform the user that the moral integrity of
Emacs has been corrupted.

> It also shows that the danger is not imaginary.

I agree completely.

If this mechanism is implemented, though, I cant see this resulting in any
additional risk of running non-free software. It could, in fact, be a
model of how to eliminate risks of running non-free software.

--
Joakim Verona