Re: bug tracker spam

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: bug tracker spam
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 12:02:59 -0400

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Human moderation works mainly by holding mail from non-subcribers.
> This is a good policy for a regular mailing list, where anyone who
> wants to participate in discussions can simply subscribe to the list.
> But for a bug-tracker gateway, this is IMO not a very good idea,
> because someone who wants to report a bug won't normally consider
> subscribing, as from her point of view reporting a bug is doing us a
> favor.

Yes, and you can replace "bug-tracker" with "bug mailing list" above
and nothing changes.

> Thus, implementing your suggestion might potentially become a
> significant burden on the moderator due to a large volume of held
> messages that the moderator would need to review.

I'm not asking for the list to be moderated if it isn't already.

If it is being moderated, let's make more efficient use of the work
someone is so kindly doing; by using it at zero extra effort to keep
spam out of the tracker.