Re: start emacs without creating frames and connect with emacsclient lat

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: start emacs without creating frames and connect with emacsclient later
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 23:55:22 +0100

Dan Nicolaescu wrote:
> "Richard M. Stallman" <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   >     Should something like this go in?  We do have a feature freeze, but
> this
>   >     is quite simple, and it completes the multi-tty functionality, which
> is
>   >     one of the major features of 23.1.
>   >
>   > I think it should go in
>   > provided you write the text for etc/NEWS AND all the relevant manuals.
>
> I'll update the all the docs whenever it gets checked in.
>
> Here's a new version of the patch, now it has code to detach from the
> terminal, so it is a real daemon (how scary, emacs is haunted by daemons
> now).

FWIW (Which may not be much...),  I'm not sure that
[not opening an initial frame yet retaining ability to open frames] and
[daemonizing (detaching from the process group)] and
[starting an emacsclient server]
should be conflated to quite such a degree.

IMO, a most useful use case for no initial full frame would be in
conjunction with systray support i.e. something like emacs --tray (or
better a customize variable) that means emacs docks into the systray
while obeying X session management.

That way one could start emacs like a mail client such as kmail,
at gui login, and it would be in the systray, popping up new frames
on left click, and perhaps having a right click menu
{new frame, start/stop server, quit} or the like.

Not sure any of that need to _daemonize_ though (not saying daemonizing
isn't useful!) - in fact it might be counterproductive, as emacs
might kind of "escape" the session manager.