RE: Emacs 22.2.91 pretest

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs 22.2.91 pretest
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 09:25:01 -0700

> Yes, on windows zip files are better than *.tar.gz files.
> However if you need to handle *.tar.gz files then 7-zip
> is much better than WinZip (or at least WinZip was not
> good at this, I have not been using it for a
> very long time now).

Sure, but many Windows users will likely use WinZip.

If this is a WinZip issue and not an Emacs packaging issue, then we can perhaps
advise people who use WinZip to right-click and save to disk, renaming the file
from .tar.tar to .tar.gz.

Or we can perhaps advise Windows users to use an alternative to WinZip, such as
7-zip. And mention why.

But without telling them something, I'm guessing that at least some Windows
users will run into a problem. And perhaps some will give up.