Re: Visual line movement inconsistency

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Visual line movement inconsistency
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 14:02:47 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:
>> But is this inconsistent behavior of C-n/C-p and C-a/C-e really the
>> intended default?  I think it would be better if C-a/C-e respected the
>> value of `line-move-visual', too.  Then the default would be like
>> visual-line-mode without word-wrapping.
>
> It was discussed and the current behavior seemed to be the consensus
> choice.
>
> I agree that it can be confusing, but I think it's much more dangerous
> to change the default behavior of C-a/C-e, because people depend a lot
> more on their precise behavior (whereas C-n/C-p are more often used in
> conjunction with visual feedback).

I mostly agree, but then it is all the more important that the fringe
indicators are used to show that lines are word wrapped (i.e. continued).
Otherwise, there is no visible clue to what a given line-oriented command
will actually do.

IMO, it would make sense to have a new pair of fringe bitmaps
for word wrapped lines that are a bit less in your face than the
normal continued/continuation bitmaps.

These bitmaps would be used on lines which are word wrapped, in
contrast to lines which are really continued (typically because there
is no suitable space character in the wrap margin, so a word has to be
cut in two).

I previously proposed a new fringe bitmap (showing ...) for continued
lines, but it may be even more appropritate for word wrap.

I know it is feature freeze, but I feel this aspect of word wrap
has not been fully addressed so far.