Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)

From: Paul Michael Reilly
Subject: Re: An Emacs plug-in for a browser (Firefox?)
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 2008 00:53:14 -0400

T. V. Raman wrote:
Persoanlly I'd prefer the embedding to go in the other direction,
i.e. embed something like Webkit inside Emacs, ask Webki to
render the Web into an emacs buffer, and enable full DOM access
from Emacs Lisp.

This way security sandboxing can be per whatever webkit does, and
emacs which typically runs with more previleges  wouldn't have to
worry about code that comes from the network doing unsafe things.

And this approach would appear to have a platform independent nature, highly appealing. I don't know anything about Webkit. Are you talking about adding Webkit to the C level of Emacs, doing an Emacs Lisp binding to Webkit (probably running in a separate process or mulitple processes ala Chrome) or something else?

-pmr