Re: Regression in Emacs trunk on GNU/Linux

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Regression in Emacs trunk on GNU/Linux
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 11:07:56 +0200

The problem I flagged is still in the current trunk.

It is reproducible (with : emacs -Q) on:

GNU/Linux Kubuntu 8.0.4.1
Cygwin
Win32

with a text file greater, in size, than 1 MB. (Bigger is the file, more
evident is the problem.)

Emacs is built with these libs:

Does Emacs use -lXpm? yes
Does Emacs use -ljpeg? yes
Does Emacs use -ltiff? yes
Does Emacs use a gif library? yes -lungif
Does Emacs use -lpng? yes
Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2? no
Does Emacs use -lgpm? no
Does Emacs use -ldbus? no
Does Emacs use -lfreetype? yes
Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt? no
Does Emacs use -lotf? no
Does Emacs use -lxft? yes
Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars? yes

I see also this thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-09/msg00315.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-09/msg00360.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-09/msg00364.html
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-09/msg00368.html

which seems related to the problem I am flagging and still is NOT FIXED.

Cheers,
   Angelo.

Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
For the sake of completeness, the regression happens also with the
Windows binaries

http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/DL/EmacsW32/EmacsCVS/unptch/emacs-from-cvs-080829.zip

Cheers,
   Angelo.

Angelo Graziosi ha scritto:
As I have already flagged [1], current trunk shows a regression on
GNU/Linux Kubuntu 8.04.1 (and at least on Cygwin):

Moving with UP/DOWN arrow keys takes about 1 second to change line. This
happens with files greater of a certain size. I have seen this with a
file of 11MB but also with a file of 4MB or 5MB.

The attached file, 'test_file.txt.bz2' (342 bytes!), when decompressed
has a size of about 5MB and should show the 'phenomenon'.

Cheers,
   Angelo.

---
[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-08/msg01384.html