Re: Problem building emacs from CVS under MSWindow due to CR/LF and adds

From: Vincent Belaïche
Subject: Re: Problem building emacs from CVS under MSWindow due to CR/LF and addsection
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 07:01:46 +0200

Eli Zaretskii a écrit :
>> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Vincent_Bela=EFche?=
>> CC:
>> Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2008 21:09:46 +0200
>>
>> Actually, this $foo$ instead of foo$ does not seem to prevent building.
>> What really prevents building is the mixture of Unix and Dos end of line
>> in the makefile produced by configure.bat.
>>

> How is this related to the shell being used?

I launch `configure.bat' under cmd.exe
Then I launched `mingw32-make.exe -f makefile.woextractrlm bootstrap'
both under MSYS bash and under cmd.exe, and I get the same result in
both cases.

Note that changing the shell between configure and build is not an odd
idea of mine, but it is something that is kind of suggested as possible
in the nt/INSTALL file :
-----
from a Unixy shell prompt:

cmd /c configure.bat
-----

>> In the attachment I have put this makefile, as you can see there is a
>> mixture of DOS and Unix style EOL. When I build with `makefile' the
>> build fails very soon. Now I edited `makefile' into
>> `makefile.woextractrlm' to remove all extra CTRL-M and I tried to build
>> with `-f makefile.woextractrlm' option.
>>

> I always check-out the CVS tree with -kb option, and thus I never have
> these problems. Can you try that?

I will do this, and make you know
>> Maybe configure.bat could be fixed by testing if sed is present on the
>> machine, and by filtering all the problematic files
>> by some `sed s/\r$//g' command.
>>

> Most Windows ports of Sed will not do with this what you want, because
> they read input in "text" mode, where the CR characters are stripped
> by low-level library I/O routines and never show in the Sed pattern
> space.

I have just made a trial, and it works. I prepared a file temp.in.txt
with a mixture of DOSy and UNIXy EOLs, and I run the one-liner:

under unixy shell:

sed "s/\r?$//" temp.in.txt> unix.temp.ou.txt

under dos shell:
sed "s/\r?$//" temp.in.txt> dos.temp.ou.txt

After this, both unix.temp.ou.txt and dos.temp.ou.txt have a uniform end
of line. Please see the attached files.

Qui vous permet d'enregistrer la TV sur votre PC et lire vos emails sur votre mobile ? la réponse en vidéo la réponse en vidéo