Re: Impressions of emacs on a cell phone

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Impressions of emacs on a cell phone
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 02:08:11 +0300

> Here are some ideas of mine(from a mail I sent to the openmoko list):
> - get emacs23 working, so one can use the dbus support of emacs 23.
> - make a dialer compatible with bbdb, and later addressbook.el
> - make a gnus backend for sms
> - a symbol chooser keyboard.
>   - start the "keyboard"(an emacs app) in a particular context(lets say
>   m-x now, but its the same for adresses or whatever)
>   - (1) show all unique prefixes in this context
>   - (2) choose a prefix
>   - (3) repeat from (1) with the chosen prefix, exit on a terminal symbol
>
> I really think Emacs could be a superiour telephone application plattform!

I successfully experimented with such UI in Emacs where prefix menus are
represented as an outline structure in the initially collapsed state.
You can press a stylus on a top-level item, and while moving the stylus
a few pixels to the right direction it expands the submenu item under it.
Without releasing the stylus, you can move it down to the next subitem
or up to the previous item on the same level, and move the stylus again to
the right direction to expand the next subitem.  So moving the stylus left
collapses the item under the pointer, and moving the stylus right expands it.
When you arrive to the leaf item you want to execute, you can release the
stylus on it, and it executes its associated Emacs command.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/