Monospace font bug?

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Monospace font bug?
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 21:32:28 -0400

I need some help to track down what may or may not be a distribution

When compiled with XFT, Emacs tries a default font named "monospace-12".
In Fontconfig, this is usually aliased to a font like DejaVu Sans Mono.
But some systems (Debian unstable?) seem to have a font actually named
Monospace, and Emacs then uses this font.  This font is somehow buggy:
in bug#505, the X server can't retrieve the font information, and in
bug#1219 it displays in a very fugly manner.

I don't know whether is is a distribution bug, or a common situation
that we need to cope with.

Could those of you running on GNU/Linux please try to do

  ~ $ xlsfonts *monospace*

And see if anything is returned?  For me, this gives

  xlsfonts: pattern "*monospace*" unmatched

but the people who've encountered problems do see fonts like

In bug#505, this font was registered in

but there's no clue about where it came from.