Re: emacs daemon on win32?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: emacs daemon on win32?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 09:22:54 +0100

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 05:21, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> Unless Emacs is a service and can be started as such, you cannot do
> this on Windows (AFAIK) without logging in as one of the users defined
> on the particular machine.

I suppose I misunderstood your question. My answer was about what I
think is, generally speaking, the raison d'etre of daemon processes.
Specifically for an Emacs daemon, my motivation is not process
control, but Emacs running as quietly and stealthily as possible until
I need it. If that is --systray instead of --daemon, so be it (though
I still think they are related concepts, at least in theory).

> Someone else wrote in this thread what I think is the main goal of the
> daemon mode: be detached from the process group and so don't get
> killed when the user logs out.  And I think this is impossible on
> Windows for a normal (non-service) process.

Though that would be undoubtedly useful, it's not a primary goal for me.

  Juanma