gdb error [Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge]

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: gdb error [Re: size of emacs executable after unicode merge]
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 21:33:20 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

> > (gdb) run -batch -l loadup dump
> > Starting program: /usr/local/work/emacs/src/temacs -batch -l loadup dump
> > [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
> > [New process 10730]
> > Executing new program: /usr/local/work/emacs/src/temacs
> > warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: generic error
> > warning: Cannot initialize thread debugging library: generic error
> > [New process 10730]
> > [Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
> > Debugger segmentation fault
> >
> > Do you know about this error?  Is this a bug of gdb?  A few
> > months ago, I didn't see this error on running temacs under
> > gdb.

> On a GNU/Linux system, with today's CVS configured as shown below, and
> with GDB 6.7.1, I don't get this problem.

My gdb is "GNU gdb 6.8-debian", and my system is debian
testing (kernel is 2.6.26-1-686).  Emacs is configured with
no option as below:

Configured for `i686-pc-linux-gnu'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?    /usr/local/work/emacs
  What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/gnu-linux.h' and `m/intel386.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -g -O2
-Wno-pointer-sign
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
      (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          GTK
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard dirs
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                no
  Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
  Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              yes
  Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
  Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes

> Why is libthread_db being used? does your build use GTK+ or some other
> library that uses multithreading?

As shown above, yes my build uses GTK+.

---
Kenichi Handa