Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/bookmark.el,v

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] Changes to emacs/lisp/bookmark.el,v
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 00:38:45 -0500

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
> As long as we use CVS, which lacks the means to see the change history
> of a single file,

Hrm?  'cvs log FILENAME'

> committing several files at once makes "cvs log"
> unusable for the purposes of tracking the history of changes to some
> specific code fragment in a single file, something I need to do a lot
> in Emacs.

'cvs annotate'

...and, of course, http://www.red-bean.com/cvs2cl/, which re-unifies CVS
changesets quite reliably.  http://cvs2svn.tigris.org/ also does so
(note that it can be used for conversion to git as well as to svn,
despite its name -- really, it's mainly a CVS changeset re-unifier, and
only secondarily a converter).  These tools are fairly widely used.

> That is why I commit the files individually, and then commit all their
> ChangeLog entries in one go.  Don't expect me to change that any time
> soon.

By doing so, you are tossing away information that *can* be
reconstructed (as per above).

When we convert to a modern version control system, other people's
multi-file changes will be unified back into single changesets, but
yours will not be, if you commit in the way you describe above.

-Karl