Emacs on GNUstep (was: Release update)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Emacs on GNUstep (was: Release update)
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2008 10:49:42 -0500

> Because my PC is slow, I've used WindowMaker(GNUStep) about 4 years.
> What kind of skills is needed to solve bugs under GNUStep(module name
> in bug description is NS?)  It seem that only bugs related to
> Emacs.app belongs to NS, right?

IIUC the main problem with it right now is that it cannot be dumped.
I.e. we cannot perform the compilation step where we load `temacs', then
all the core Emacs files, and then dump the result into a new executable
`emacs'.
This means that Emacs/GNUstep has to load all the fils like subr.el,
simple.el, text-mode.el, ... over and over again at each startup, and it
has several other nasty consequences.

Fixing this requires someone who can delve into the details of how
GNUstep binaries are layed out and how the ObjC runtime is linked and
initialized and how all this interacts.

        Stefan