Re: bug in server-start

From: Sven Joachim
Subject: Re: bug in server-start
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 11:50:10 +0100

On 2008-12-15 11:29 +0100, Juanma Barranquero wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 10:00, Nick Roberts <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> error: Server "server" is already running
>>
>> with a second emacs instance when (server-start) is in
>> the .emacs file because, in this case server-process is nil and so
>> the server process doesn't actually get deleted.
>
> IIUC, you're saying that with
>
> ;;; .emacs
> (server-start)
> ;;; end of .emacs
>
> and running two emacs at once, the second one throws an error.
>
> That's a feature.

But a feature that doesn't work right ATM, because I can't even check in
.emacs if a server is already running without loading server.el first.
Either make server-start return nil and display a message instead of
throwing an error, or autoload server-running-p so that

(unless (server-running-p)
  (server-start))

works in .emacs.

Sven