Re: font name not decoded in the output of describe-font

From: jasonr
Subject: Re: font name not decoded in the output of describe-font
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 01:46:09 +0000

Quoting Miles Bader <address@hidden>:

> Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
> >> The font name is not decoded, and revealed as internal representation.
> >
> > I've added code to decode and encode font names in the w32 font backends.
>
> The same problem exists in the output of `C-u C-x ='; I thought
> Handa-san said he was going to fix it, but... maybe he forgot?

He said that the fix will need to be specific to each font backend.
I fixed the W32 font backends to decode the font name, but the problem may still
exist in other backends.

My understanding is that Truetype fonts that contain localised names also
contain an ASCII name. On Windows the localised name is only used when the
system locale matches. I don't know under what circumstances if any xft uses
the localised truetype font names. And whether localised names are used in
other font types, and how to tell the encoding.