Re[2]: Integrate sr-speedbar.el with speedbar.el

From: Eric M. Ludlam
Subject: Re[2]: Integrate sr-speedbar.el with speedbar.el
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 22:35:05 -0500

>>> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> seems to think that:
>Andy Stewart <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Speedbar is very useful for file browser or other programming.
>> But this have a big problem is, speedbar is show in other frame.
>> So need switch between two frame, not very convenient.
>>
>> And have a exist extension sr-speedbar.el (write by "Sebastian Rose")
>> can make speedbar show in same frame.
>>
>> Find it at: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/sr-speedbar.el
>>
>> I'm another developer of sr-speedbar.
>> I have attached newest version of sr-speedbar.
>>
>> I want to integrate sr-speedbar with speedbar.
>> "Sebastian Rose" and me were sign copyright of FSF.
>
>Ccing Eric Ludlam, the Speedbar author.
>
>Eric, could you give your opinion of sr-speedbar?

Hi,

  I read small bits of sr-speedbar a little while ago.  As far as I
know, it uses the same techniques that ECB uses, by advising various
windowing functions in order to keep the speedbar window safe.  It
also uses a bunch of speedbar's hooks. A while ago (June?) there were
lots of discussions on emacs-devel on how to make ECB work without
advice in Emacs.  I would imagine that the simpler sr-speedbar would
benefit from the same kind of thing.

  I lost track of the ECB discussion though, so I don't know what
sorts of changes were made for it.

  I can read some more of sr-speedbar if a more detailed opinion is
needed.

Eric

--
          Eric Ludlam:                       address@hidden