RE: Release update

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Release update
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:16:16 -0800

> Can you tell where to do that? I'm on MS Windows - where do
> these files reside? Are they only for Emacs? (Searching for
> `cache', `fontconfig', and `font-config' turns up nothing in
> the Elisp manual.)

I found node Font X in the Emacs manual, which mentions Fontconfig but not the
cache files. It references this URL: http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html,
but the files mentioned there have UNIX or Gnu/Linux locations: /etc/fonts/*. It
mentions also ~/.fonts.conf, which could be on Windows too, but I have no such
file. I searched my hard drive for a file named .fonts.conf, but there is none
anywhere.

I have Cygwin installed, so I did locate a fonts.conf file (no initial dot) in
~/cygwin/etc/fonts.

The Fontconfig manual says that the config file has a <cache> element that names
the cache file. The manual says that the default cache file is
~/.fonts.cache-<version>, but I have no such file(s).

In my file fonts.conf, there is no <cache> element. There are two <cachedir>
elements, however, one of which is /var/cache/fontconfig</cachedir>, and the
other of which is ~/.fontconfig</cachedir>.

In ~/cygwin/var/cache/fontconfig/, I do see some files with system-generated
names. Should I just delete those?

What if I didn't have Cygwin installed? Where would the cache files be on MS
Windows? Is it Emacs that creates these files? If so, how does it know whether I
have Cygwin installed etc.?

Thx.