Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 17:26:52 -0500

    The semantics are a bit delicate, but if you have/create a notion of
    "current-terminal", which is the terminal from which input was last
    received, then in practice most frames are created on that terminal,
    and most of the rest have an implicit notion of "my terminal" (eg, an
    emacsclient -nw process will use its controlling tty).  So give
    make-frame a terminal parameter, and (make-frame) will use the current
    terminal as default.  The general form will be

        (make-frame '((terminal DESCRIPTOR)
                      (terminal-type TYPE)))

I think this is not very different from the current situation, as
regards Lisp calls.  The reason for make-frame-on-display and
make-frame-on-tty is for invocation with M-x, where you need to
specify the terminal with a string.

These commands could be merged by using a heuristic to
tell whether the argument is a tty device or an X server.