Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: Terminology in multi-tty primitives
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:38:53 -0500

    > I think this is not very different from the current situation, as
    > regards Lisp calls.  The reason for make-frame-on-display and
    > make-frame-on-tty is for invocation with M-x, where you need to
    > specify the terminal with a string.

    > These commands could be merged by using a heuristic to
    > tell whether the argument is a tty device or an X server.

    I don't think it's important to merge them.  More important is to make
    it clear why they exist.

It is not necessary to merge them, but it seems like a simplification.

make-frame-on-tty is not currently mentioned in the Emacs Manual.
Supposing we added it, that would add to the complexity.  If instead
we merge the two commands, that would require only small changes in
the existing documentation of make-frame-on-display.

    BTW is `make-frame-on-tty' useful as an interactive function?  What
    would the use-case be for that?  I'd say: drop the interactive spec for
it...

It seems to be a simple wrapper intended for interactive calling.  It
does not provide much simplification for a caller in Lisp.  If it is
not useful for interactive calling, maybe we should delete it.

By the way, why does it need the conditional that tests window-system?
Should the proper handling of window-system be built into `make-frame'
instead?  If it is needed for all frame creation on MSDOG, putting it
in `make-frame' is best because that way it only needs to be done once
and callers are all simpler.