Re: ^M in the info files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ^M in the info files
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 00:04:48 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
> Cc: Kenichi Handa <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:56:16 -0500
>
> > This creates an inconsistency for Lisp programs that do their own
> > decoding: if they call detect-coding-region/string for a region or
> > string with null bytes, they will not see no-conversion in the return
> > value, but insert-file-contents will use no-conversion nonetheless.
>
> > I think this inconsistency constitutes a bug.
>
> Indeed, it sounds like a bug.  Not sure how/when it would manifest
> itself, tho.

Well, for starters, it means that insert-file-contents does its own
detection that cannot be separated from it on the Lisp level.  That
is,

   (let ((coding-system-for-read 'undecided))
     (insert-file-contents FOO))

and

   (insert-file-contents-literally FOO)
   (let ((coding-system-for-read
          (detect-coding-region (point-min) (point-max) t)))
     (insert-file-contents FOO))

will surprisingly produce different results.